Designer Portraits

Milliner extraordinaire Judy Bentinck

Last week in my new monthly newsletter, I mentioned that I was off shooting (metaphorically speaking of course) some of the amazing designer makers at the Cockpit Arts in Holborn, London. If you’ve not been to this award winning creative business incubator for designer-makers, do visit and peruse the many amazing hand-made treasures on offer! Their 25-year anniversary is coming up and they have several open days in June. Here are some of the portraits I’d like to share with you!


The fabulous jewellery designer Clara Breen

Award-winning textile- and notebook-designer Tamasyn Gambell
If I got a dime every time someone told me "I hate having my photo taken" and "I don't photograph well", I'd be a millionaire by now :-) I think portrait sessions are fun and it's a great opportunity for both photographer and sitter to come up with some fresh ideas, poses and, most importantly, a profile photo which will (hopefully) be used lots!

Elegant jewellery by Jessica Pool

 The best advices to any sitter: let rip, throw poses, don't be afraid "to look stupid" (there is no such thing!) - the best portrait shoots (IMHO) are the ones where a spontaneous feel is captured. I got the BIGGEST thrill when Sue (below) suddenly exclaimed, "that's me, you've really captured what I'm about!"

Textile-designer and producer Suzanne Goodwin

Contemporary jewellery-maker Beth Gilmour

Ceramic artist Loli Cardenoso